Software Developer - Data Management - University of Rochester
The Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology at the University of Rochester (http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/biostat/ ) is accepting applications for a Software Developer within the dynamic research environment of the Center for Integrative Bioinformatics and Experimental Mathematics (http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/integrative-bioinformatics-experimental-mathematics/). Our Data Management team needs to grow in order to support the growing variety, volume, and velocity of the data we manage for a number of multi-$M, multi-year studies. The ideal candidate for this position will have a blend of training and experience in software development, data management, bioinformatics, and interpersonal communication. Exceptional candidates who lack the background in bioinformatics, but show a strong aptitude and interest in learning and working in the field will also be considered.
Develop software tools used by doctors, nurses, biomedical scientists, and statisticians to collect, manage, and integrate a wide variety of data from clinical/biological studies. Tool development includes a combination of:
- Designing and developing custom software
- Configuring, customizing, and extending the LabKey Server platform (http://www.labkey.org)
- Integrating third-party software and external databases
Take overall responsibility for project execution including:
- Working with end users to define application requirements, assessing the feasibility of features within time and budget constraints, and then negotiating/prioritizing as needed
- Designing and developing software using industry best practices for maintainability and reusability
- Developing and managing QA/testing procedures to ensure that delivered products are both correct and reliable
- Providing production support, including end user training, data QC and cleansing, and problem resolution
Help define, communicate, and execute long-term vision in areas such as:
- Managing “big data” from high-throughput technologies such as next-gen sequencing
- Integrating data management with data analysis pipelines to support reproducible research
- Automating data QC and cleansing
- Using public biomedical data repositories
- Using standard file/exchange formats and ontologies
- BS in computer science, software engineering, bioinformatics or closely related field, or BS/BA in another field plus 3-5 years of software development work experience, required. MS preferred.
- 1-5 years of paid software development experience via internship, co-op, or full-time employment required.
- Working knowledge of a modern object-oriented programming language such as Java, C++, or C# required. Java experience preferred; willingness to learn and use Java required.
- Experience using relational databases. Working knowledge of SQL required. DBA experience (especially PostgreSQL) a plus. Experience with NoSQL databases, data warehousing, cloud computing all pluses.
- Experience applying modern software development methods and tools: IDE and version control experience required; issue tracking, project management, automated build tools (Ant, Maven) all pluses.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with end users to understand requirements, gather feedback, and provide training is a must.
- Training and/or work experience in immunology or molecular biology a plus. Bioinformatics training/experience a big plus.
- Lab experience with plate-based assays, flow cytometry, and/or any "omics" technologies is a plus; interest in these and willingness to learn about them and the data they produce is required.
- Training and/or work experience in statistics (especially using R) a plus.
- Works well as part of a team. Communicates well: listening, speaking, writing.
- Pays attention to detail. Dependable. Follows through.
This is a contract-to-hire position at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
Interested candidates should email a resume to email@example.com
Either the email body or an attached cover letter should highlight the candidate’s interest and relevant experience. The attached resume should clearly and succinctly list relevant education, employment, achievements, and skills.